Bona Fide OS Developer
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:14 pm

FAIDE is a next generation IDE 

Post FAIDE is a next generation IDE
Back in the day on Basic class the prof didn't allow us to code a single line of code if we didn't have a working flowchart... and I guess the idea stuck in my head and it pops up again from time to time...

anywho today I was playing with my doddles and I'm thinking that FAIDE (which stands for Flowchar Assisted Integrated Development Enviroment and its mascot will be a really sexy secretary) is a worthwhile project to persue in the near future... some of you may be thinking that this is an OS place not a programming language place but if you think about it an OS can be modeled after a Language Interpreter. Anywho I just wanted to share my FAIDE project...

These are the constructs:...
and this is my artistic representation of how FAIDE would look like...

The picture sais the 1000 words I can not... And I have a question: How many of you think its a worth while project to persue?...

Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:20 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: FAIDE is a next generation IDE
Are there not any IDE's that have this feature allready?

I dont thing it would be a hard thing to implement for higher level languages anyway, I once thought about such an IDE for ASM and posted the idea on MegaTokyo, thats when it got ripped to shredds, however as I said for a higher level language it should be allmost easy to implement.

Kieran C G Foot

Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:50 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I would say this is an interesting idea, but not practical. It would be difficult to navigate large code bases and difficult to scan visually.

I agree with you that any good programmer should use proper logic planning before even writing a single line of code, but I don't think an IDE would solve that.

Am I missing your point?

Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:41 pm

I don't know... this is just theoretical doodling, the idea came up while watching star trek one day... and then it was resurfaced while thinking how about coding a compiler... I like it cause you could navigate easy using touch screen like in star-trek... I say it would encourage good program design just to promote the idea... it does have its strengths when it comes to multitasking, cause you could easily see the forking of threads... also constructs can be created to guide how the program should be scheduled for CPU time... it would be a good language lay out for them 100 cpu parallel super computers

Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:48 pm
It's a really interesting idea. I think if the flowchart bit was stacked as you drill down deeper it would seem less screen wasting. Or perhaps only show one to three levels up, not unlike the 3 pane view for browsing files on OSX/NextStep/GNUstep.

Having different modes at different layers that provide a view that is an abstraction suitable for the layer you are examining might be good. Like a high level block diagram instead of a flowchart for a component oriented view of libraries, classes, files. and a flowchart view per function with a link at the top of the function's flowchart snippet to the calling functions.

I've also wanted some way to view the flow of data (based on datatype) rather than simple program flow. I don't know how this could be represented, perhaps a Message Sequence Chart, I'm not sure.

Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:28 pm

Just a heads up, this wouldn't be anything new (ok, well partially). There is a C IDE that is similar to this that is designed for programming robots for competitions. The big advantages your concept has over those IDEs is that it can "drill down" through the logic. Its a nice idea and I would like to see it pulled off. If you want some help, I could probably put some code time in.

Charles

Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:43 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Besides the fact that there is a C IDE with this functionallity, many of us use seperate planning applications before starting a development project and track our progress through the project as a set of tasks.
I believe this is an essential part to develop any software as it is of great benefit during all steps; Design, Coding and Debugging. I like my IDE to be just for coding and compilation, all we need is an IDE with built in x86/x64/IA64 emulators and debuggers.

Kieran C G Foot

Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:03 pm
Profile WWW

Not extremely useful but I must admit it looks pretty cool :D

Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:59 pm