Bona Fide OS Developer
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:55 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 How does one get hardware data for writing drivers? 

Post Re: How does one get hardware data for writing drivers?
I don't like GPL because it forces me to share... I don't mind sharing but enforcing the GPL would mean forcing me to share... I don't like to be forced... I do appreciate the option if need should arise not to share my code... simple...

Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:15 pm

Software licenses in general are like STDs...

Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:27 pm

Amen brother. You got to cut-off whatever code got infected--I got rid of floppies. The ATA command registers and command codes I'll take to court. Clearly there is none of their intellectual property there--they didn't write the standard!

I hope I reached you in time to avoid youthful indiscretions!

technically, there was one other thing. I learned you can apply a REP prefix to IN or OUT. I figured-out myself when I read the ICH documentation that the ATA data register can be accessed with dwords not just words.

How does this work--must I purify myself by not using REP? Seriously, you can't say I'm forever owned by Linus? Were talking 200 lines of code vaguely on the topic of ATA out of 120,000 lines of code. My ATAPI was not from Linux--that was after I learned a lesson from encountering brainwashed GPL commies like that last dude.

Nothing else remotely came from Linux. In fact, I wrote the original code back in 1994 to switch to protected mode and do keyboard and display. Never looked at their compiler--mine's from scratch.

I studied compilers and operating systems in school and worked on Ticketmaster's operating system. If I have any intellectual property issues, it's with Ticketmaster... though, you never know where ideas originated.

You know these Linus dudes think "guilty until proven innocent."

Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:29 pm

You developed LoseThos? Good to find an experienced joe visit our little group... I hope you stick around here we could use your incite...

Now you are sayin that there are some Linux people trying to get you to GPL your source code? that is f**d up! I didn't think such things would happen... such behavior are like horns on the penguin... I didn't think the penguin had such a dark side...

again I hope you stick around here... I always liked the idea of a language based SHELL and you pretty much got it done...

umm,... you inspired me... I was thinking of making an assembler, I'm gonna go start on that...

Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:10 pm

Honestly, though, calling everyone who likes the GPL a communist isn't really going to help. (I mean, what if they *are* a communist? ;-))

I'm not really getting what you dislike most about the GPL though - is it just its viral nature? I'm a paid-up member of the Free Software Foundation and everything, pro-GPL blah blah, but I'm not what you'd call a "zealot" or a "commie" for that matter. I support 'responsible' use of licenses where appropriate, each according to the developer. I'm not going to sue you into oblivion for some minor infarction.

But my question remains - what is your real gripe with it? What negative experiences have you had in the past? I'm not asking this sarcastically or presuming you don't have reasons - I'm just curious, and want to hear your stories.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:38 am
Profile WWW

GPL scum want to claim my work! I've worked 6 years full time and have not used GPL code. Just paid $700 for ISO documentation on UDF file systems. GPL scum want to sound like your friends but they are NOT your friends. The GPL advocates are all greedy free loaders who think those people are heros. They are scum.

Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:34 pm

I understand that such is your opinion, but you haven't actually made a case of saying what's actually happened to you in the past. You've just labelled an entire, huge category of people as 'scum'. That's adult. Paying huge sums of money for something you could either ask other people about (for free, unlicensed pointers), reverse-engineer, or even do that process whose name escapes me (where one person reads licensed source code and then describes its manner of operation to another person who never physically touches it). Anyway, these are all just methods to avoid paying heaps of money.

In short: you sound like a reasonable person, except you keep making claims about tens of thousands of developers you've never met, and are calling them 'greedy free loaders' and 'scum'. That's terrible. Can you at least justify why you're of this opinion?

Working six years full time doesn't magically give you a right to call people scum who want to claim their work. If you license your work appropriately, then they're legally obligated to keep their hands right off, just like you have to keep yours off theirs if you're planning to distribute. It's simple enough.

Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:31 pm
Profile WWW

I've had to put-up will all you brainwashed zealot zombies and four freedoms crap doing exactly what you're doing, now, that's what!!

Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:40 pm

... which is ...?

What am I doing, apart from talking to you about licensing? :?

We're both human, so actually talk to me like one.

Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:24 pm
Profile WWW

I don't know about Terry but this "legal obligation" you talk about annoys me... look at the burden you so easily hand out "If you license your work appropriately"... by what authority do you require me to license my work... if I should decide not to seek government protection to my work would that give you the right to violate/exploit me?... Law is not always on my side because there are lobbyist who pay lots of money to ensure they keep the upper hand...

Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:46 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next