Bona Fide OS Developer
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:49 pm

ASM will not assemble 
Post Re: ASM will not assemble
Quote:
I know a C compiler output when I see it. I also know a bad assembly programmer when I see his/her code. Even if we'd all be using 8-bit CPUs that would still be the crappiest way to set up a string. There are several better solutions:

LOL if we had a woman programming asm you are lucky if it runs 10 seconds without crashing lOl
Quote:

You will never be able to write an OS is you skip the learning stage. And you certainly don't learn how to write an OS along the way, as is commonly believed. Take a thorough look at the Intel manuals. Try coding some simple assembly applications first, perhaps even read a book on the subject. That will get you up and going in no time.

to be honest i am not great in assembly but really good with C.
and it was the compile that put the strings that way, not me.

Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:06 pm

Post Re: ASM will not assemble
You're in luck :) You don't need that much assembly to code an OS anyway - and the bits coded in assembly (bootstrapping, context switching, interrupt handling, I/O support functions and a few other things) can be borrowed from other projects. They're all more or less the same.

Cheers,
Bogdan

Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:04 am