Bona Fide OS Developer
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:47 pm

Year 1 OS - Community Blog 

Post Year 1 OS - Community Blog
I'm gonna start this topic as a sorta public blog about the Year 1 OS... basically I'm going to be posting stuff I'm doing with it and then people who read the tutorials or experiment with it can also post here, kinda of like mailing list but its not a mailing list its a BB topic...

The Year 1 OS is intended to be a learning experience, it is a follow up to
Daniel Rowell Faulkner's "Hello World" bootloader tutorial. It is the simplest OS I could think of and still be an OS.

At the moment I say its ready for some public scrutiny, thus far I have the following:
Hello World bootloader to Year 1 OS series.pdf
Y1OS - Files and utilities.pdf
y1os-tutorial-series-1.tar.gz

There is a series of things I have planed for it... Its quite a neat little toy OS...

update: Sep 11 2009
added document: Year 1 OS - Spec Rundown.pdf
update: Oct 07 2009
pesky bug fixed on y1os-tutorial-series-1.tar.gz->ex6/boot.asm

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:53 pm

Post Re: Year 1 OS - Community Blog
Thanks, I'll look at it now :D

Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:18 pm
Site Admin

Think of a fetus? lol, nice illustration.

This looks like a great chance to write a detailed yet simple tutorial. I love the idea.

How do you plan to code it and allow other to work on it? Either way, keep it coming.

Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:28 pm

Well its already coded in Assembly, y1os-tutorial-series-1.tar.gz, is the assembly source code... which its simple enought to double as somebody's first Assembly project... but I understand people just don't like assembly these days...

at the moment I am working on a C compiler to compile Y1OS kernels and Y1OS programs to go along with... if it took me a couple months to finish the Y1OS... I'm thinking it might take me that much to do the compiler... its a question of how often I am able to sit in front of a PC with a clear mind and willing to code for an hour or so...

when I finish the compiler, anybody is going to be able to do the Y1OS kernel his/her own way...

making the Y1OS work on a thumb drive is attractive because I think its neat to see your own OS boot the new mini-notebooks that are comming out... Thats probably what I'll be doing after the compiler... that along with going protected mode, simple memory management, simple multitasking, video driver stuff, sound driver stuff,... that stuff is not fun but I need to go there... such stuff is a question of digesting information and how can I delegate that? I don't know...

I do have fun stuff planned for the Y1OS demo images... In an attempt to try to get people to see what I see... one of the Y1OS demo images will be something that will look like the UI interface of an MP4 player ... it won't play mp3s or videos, instead it will play simple midi/FM/mod music and some demos from Hornet.org, and have simple games and PIM apps... I am hopin that will get people excited enought and attract some talent this way...

Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:18 pm

I just finished with Spec Rundown... Its the first document I started with but the writing was too messy so I hesitated to release it, although I think its the most essential document.

Year 1 OS - Spec Rundown.pdf

Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:50 pm

Looking good so far, you keep up the good work!

Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:29 pm

What do you think the eta is on this? Im really looking forward to the final draft! :)

Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:54 pm

well,..... let me weigh the options...

Year 1 OS - hobby OS for learning
Social OS - potential favorable self employment opportunity

which one would you pick??

Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:17 am

DudeOfX wrote:
well,..... let me weigh the options...

Year 1 OS - hobby OS for learning
Social OS - potential favorable self employment opportunity

which one would you pick??

Well it depends ... you could have both, and you are very close to completing the Year 1 OS last time I checked. Not to mention, the Social OS will be in development for a looooooooooooooooooooooong time, when you say "Social" I say network driver hell .... ;)

I would say finish what you started first, then you'll have some new fans to help you with your Social OS.

Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:47 pm
do you mind telling me what you are talking about?

Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:54 pm