Bona Fide OS Developer
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:10 am

GRUB says kernel.bin as unsupported executable 

Post Re: GRUB says kernel.bin as unsupported executable
Can anyone please write a boot loader example which will load kernel.bin including A20 so I can load it in a protected mode :)?

Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:33 pm
Site Admin

Hi likesogunfire,
Here is a bootloader that does exactly what you asked for http://files.osdev.org/mirrors/geezer/johnfine/bootf02.zip.

Hope that helps you 8-)

Kieran C G Foot

Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:05 pm
Profile WWW

I'm a beginner and a total newbie at writing my own OS, besides that I also have some knowledge about ASM and C/C++. I don't see any problems about writing a small kernel (like really small), but the booting process makes me head hurt. Of course, I can write a primitive "Hello world" boot loader, but when I finally have a need for a kernel loading (I have it in a bin format - kernel.bin), I do not understand how to make it so I can load this BIN file.
I have done "Bare_bones" tutorial from osdev wiki page, I've done it without any odd problems (all thought I had to use Linux at compilation, DJGPP was a problem for me). But GRUB using I don't understand and I also think that for a newbie it's a too massive project, so to speak.

Thank you Kieran for the tutorial, that's really kind of you, I've been going around the forums asking some things and all I get is many redirects to thousand of wiki pages. I'm gonna look through your given bootloader, but I got a question already (thought this suits more to a linux forum), the thing is that I own a psychical floppy disc drive, so I can only play with virtual ones on a PC, the question is how can I (using linux), make an image file (floppy.img) so it will have in the first sector my 512 byte loader?

And maybe someone or anyone who has been developing their own Os or Os'es can share information how did you begin your road :)?

Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:28 pm
Site Admin

Well, I'm no Linux user I'm sorry to say. Hopefully someone will be able to answer it for you.

However, I would say to start looking at the GRUB tutorials, GRUS is easy to use and simple to install and boot.

Kieran C G Foot

Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:55 pm
Profile WWW

Kieran wrote:
Well, I'm no Linux user I'm sorry to say. Hopefully someone will be able to answer it for you.

However, I would say to start looking at the GRUB tutorials, GRUS is easy to use and simple to install and boot.
If it's so easy from Windows then maybe you can tell me how to do it in short reply, simply how to how, but I understand that it is possible only from Linux... When I download package tar.gz - I think that all these files are not meant for me to load all the kernel, right? If you could tell me in a short way step by step that would be great.

Also, I found this tutorial long time ago, and I wanted to get it done, but even there a GRUB is used, even thought you could download already one prepared image file, where GRUB is already compiled inside of it, even so, I want to compile these files by myself with GRUB bootloader, not to use already MADE IMAGE of what it should look like, so that's way I want to understand how to use GRUB.

Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:08 pm