Bona Fide OS Developer
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:30 pm

Multicores 

Post Re: Multicores
The only thing I've heard of about what you are asking for is the NVIDIA Tesla Supercomputers they boast up to 960 parallel processing cores... will set you back a couple thousand bucks...

if you get one, you must share your experience, you must!!! You just can't leave us in the dark, you just can't!

Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:48 am

I remember Intel had something like 80 cores .... but what would really be cool is making an OS for a quantum computer! :)

Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:41 pm

I think somebody should make a USB stick with a CPU, memory and storage then you can huddle up a bunch of them together and you'd get a poor man's parallel computer...

Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:11 am

DudeOfX wrote:
I think somebody should make a USB stick with a CPU, memory and storage then you can huddle up a bunch of them together and you'd get a poor man's parallel computer...

Hell, just use a Sheeva Plug, its like what you want ... I ordered one!

Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:39 pm

heh, Sheeva Plug, are almost the coolest thing... I say almost the coolest thing cause it needs a video out so I can web-enable my TV.

taking my web-enabled TV dreams aside that Sheeva Plug is the kind of device that would benefit from a Social OS...

Think about it:...
always on instant messenger...
you can keep a myspace type profile in it always on...
you can keep a little personal forum always on...

Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:42 am

I'm pretty sure you can't afford a cluster but perhaps you could buy a server off eBay. Otherwise, the closest thing you'll find is the first ccNUMA to reach desktop computers, the Core i7. The 80-core research project is SMP which is a lot less interesting, I'm pretty sure the world will hear a lot more about NUMA in the years to come.

As for the USB stick with memory and CPUs, there is such a thing. It's called a network. It can work in a number of ways, not just USB: ethernet, IEEE 1394 (or serial buses in general), IEEE 1284 (or parallel buses in general). Even if it's separate computers or embedded devices that you connect via USB they still make up distributed systems and they're hard to use properly, especially if you take things like CPU affinity, fault tolerance and data loss into account.

Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:26 pm