Bona Fide OS Developer
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:53 pm

Consideration beyond the x86 architecture 

Post Consideration beyond the x86 architecture
I am just going to put this here because its something I am into... I say consider other architectures for your OS development adventures besides the x86... There is a lot of uncharted turf beyond the x86

I think its worth while... if you ever have the inclination to buy a portable device, such as a PDA, Cell Phone, MP4 Player, etc... get one that you have access to system source codes and develop stuff for it...

The obvious things to look into are the Android based cellphones, Linux based PDAs. There are also other venues ie: devices that encourage open development... Here are a few example devices:

The Dingoo A320 : (MIPS based architecture, Ingenic JZ4732 chipset) incredible little portable game console, aprox $90

Wireless ZipIt2: (ARM based architecture, XScale PXA270 chipset) this is assentially a little computer, it has a keyboard, a screen, WiFi, 64MB RAM and a SD slot for storage. The only thing I don't like is that the WiFi is sort of close source. Somewhat cheap!!! $50

Pandora Handheld: (ARM Based architecture, Cortex™-A8 chipset) yet to be officially released but I see a lot of promise behind it. Very portable, powerful, full featured, currently priced at $330

Rockchip 26xx and 27xx based MP4 Players: (ARM Based architecture) These are basically generic MP4 devices, I am placing it on this list for one reason... they are not exactly open source but there is a gang of renegade, hacker, pirate developers who obtained the SDK with 95% of the source code and opened it up, this cat is out of the bag and I don't think he is going back in. The price for these devices are cheap as low as $30 but you have to know what you are looking for

Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:52 pm

Post Re: Consideration beyond the x86 architecture
DudeOfX wrote:
Pandora Handheld: (ARM Based architecture, Cortex™-A8 chipset) yet to be officially released but I see a lot of promise behind it. Very portable, powerful, full featured, currently priced at $330

Just got an email today saying they're going to be shipping them in October :D

Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:06 am