Bona Fide OS Developer
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:06 pm

Hi There 

Post Hi There
Hi Everyone!

I just stumbled across this website and I've been reading through the forum and the tutorials, absolutely brilliant resource. I did some ASM development about a year ago when I came across the "Writing Your Own Toy OS..." series of PDF's. They were kind of terrible but pointed me in the right direction. I got a stage 1, stage 2 boot loader up and running then unfortunately work got in the way. At the moment I'm at the stage of needing to be able to put my code in Protected Mode and then read the rest of the boot up files off the harddrive. But I'm thinking of rewriting from scratch with the resources available on this website, and hopefully become a regular contributor.

Apologies for posting here, but I couldn't find a New Topic button in the General forum (probably being really blind).

How prevalent is the community? Is there a community project that everyone contributes to around here? What OS's do you use for Dev'ing on? I used Microsoft Virtual PC on my Vista laptop running a Debian install for my development, and then a virtual environment for testing my boot code. Does anyone else do a similar thing? Is there an issue with using Virtual PC for testing? I've got a VMWare server at home that I can always add a new virtual machine to if VPC is going to be a problem.

Many thanks,

Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:54 pm

Post Re: Hi There
This community has been dead for quite a while and lately there has been some renewed interest in it. A new website is also being worked on. I proposed working on a simple, yet full-blown reference operating system and have a series of tutorials that would explain exactly how it was built and how it works. Although people agreed I haven't heard anything about it since.

There's a thread around here where we've been asked what tools we use - you should probably check that out if you're curious.

The other members will probably shout at me for saying this but this is really not the place to learn anything. All we've done so far is plan things and done nothing. I strongly recommend the OSDev.org community which I am part of. Maybe come back in 6 months or so to see if anything has changed.

Cheers,
Bogdan

Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:40 pm

is that why you are ice-cold to us... Boobies4Love... always trying to take us down... do we seem like some sort of threat to OSdev.org?... afraid of a small community of noobs are you?...

Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:52 pm

I'm not trying to take anyone down. I have to same suggestion for everyone here. The two communities are not in a competition.

Cheers,
Bogdan

Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:34 am
Site Admin

This post is in the wrong forum, but as the General forum is still locked and will be until we have an active administrator.

Kieran C G Foot

Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:51 am
Profile WWW

Thanks for letting me know, but given that there have been a number of replies already I'm seeing that people are still checking the site ;).

As for a reference OS, I think that would be a great idea. Especially if everything was laid out in a neat tutorial sequence, with accompanying source code and documentation, and then people can see for themselves and see what the OS can do.

If you're looking for a moderator I'd be interested in stepping in.

Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:03 am
Site Admin

Im sorry, but we have enough moderators at the moment I think.

Also, as you see this is now in the correct forum :lol:

Bogdan, the lack or progress is down to all of us as a team, this includes you. We are all working on various things at any given time and id like to think we all give this site an equal (or as near as possible) time share compared with our other projects

Kieran C G Foot

Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:27 am
Profile WWW
No!
do not go to osdev.org.
there forum is terriable and the members have an attitude.
if you ask an easy question you get 3-5 posts saying you dont have enough experence.
Love4Boobies - osdev.org is nor for newbies.

Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:30 am

AndyEsser wrote:
Thanks for letting me know, but given that there have been a number of replies already I'm seeing that people are still checking the site ;).

As for a reference OS, I think that would be a great idea. Especially if everything was laoalid out in a neat tutorial sequence, with accompanying source code and documentation, and then people can see for themselves and see what the OS can do.

If you're looking for a moderator I'd be interested in stepping in.

Hey,

(Now promoted to necromancer)

I forgive myself a second resurrection because the site seems to be stalled slightly, and until I see Brenden around and he's ready to accept some of the articles and tutorials I've written for him I can do little but encourage discussion on the forum.

To be blunt, community projects fail. When people try to start a large, many person project, without a definitive design and people determined to stick to the design instead of trying to apply conflicting models; not one has ever survived. However; a reference operating system, built as a larger than average tutorial is not a terrible idea. It would have to be built in tutorial stages, with clear goals before every bit of code, and with the intention of teaching, never of having a working operating system.

I'd be prepared to write code for such a system, with a single restriction. Whoever takes charge (hopefully Brenden is interested) will take dictatorial position on the structure. i will not discuss, argue or fight about whether it should be Microkernel/Monolithic, what model to use for drivers, whether it should be platform-independant. These things are firstly not important when writing a tutorial on other things, and are the main reason for previous projects failing.

Thanks,

James

Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:53 am

I love that idea, hopefully something will come up :)

although there are many tutorials out there, almost every one stops at the hard parts...

Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:29 am