Bona Fide OS Developer
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:27 am

Alchemy 

Post Alchemy
As you can see, my screen name is Beserker NomNom, but my real name is Jacob Cannon. I'm in Utah in the U.S. I'm probably the only guy crazy enough to try to make this product a reality in the market of OSes. Anyway, I'm going to need help with a lot in this. I'm in college for computer programming specifically, and already have worked on a Small Business Management degree. I'm looking for people willing to help make my Brain Child a reality.

Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:00 pm

Post Re: Alchemy
NomNom :lol:
that is a cute name...
I need a nick name like that...
I could probably get away will many flirts from the ladies with a name like that...

anywho let me say welcome aboard...

myself, I do hope for one day to grab an assistant in competent in the business field... a personal secretary of sorts ya know... I need one... specially at times like this... I have my eye on one but I pressed some sensitive buttons at first contact so at the moment its impossible to even talk to her... but the real barrier is that she has me all wrong and its difficult to fix that...

anyways do share your business incite... I think most people don't because they are afraid somebody will steal their idea... but I do believe that at the moment there must exist situations were its more profitable if people where to copy each other... ya know??? I think people think that if everybody copied them it becomes less profitable and in some cases thats true... but at times like this there must be a situation, a set of circumstances, where its more profitable if people copied a good thing...

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:56 pm
Site Admin

DudeofX, you're a dork.

NomNom, what is your USP? How do you plan on marketing and to who? What kind of resources and time will you require to get a working product?

Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:32 pm

The biggest thing I would have to say that would be unique would be the price, since almost every business, whether a tycoon like Microsoft or like the small stereotypical convenience store that is ran buy a family straight from India, puts a 300% mark-up on what they provide. Some people call this business smart, I call it sheer and utter "sheeping." "Well the business down the street is doing it, so why can't I?" Just because one person does it, every person figures that they should be able to do it also. But then again the world doesn't revolve around the things that provide life, it revolves around what people can get out of it. Money. I'm sitting here at my computer at 12:16 am, with an angry wife in the bedroom. I've been getting told that i'll never amount to anything all of the twenty years i've been alive. I'm used to it so much that it just rolls off. People can say what they want. Everybody that's done something great started from a point and somewhere along the line they questioned their capability to keep going. I had that happen to me when I was twelve, and when I saw my mom crying because I was made a ward of the state. I just achieved the point in therapy where the state "terminated" me from their therapy programs last year, on July 14th, and got married to my love on July 18th. I've been pushed down to where I honestly thought I've thought that I would be ending it all in a few moments more times then I want to admit, right now being one of those. I know I sound like a friggin' weakling, but I am far from that. There's only one way to change all of this crap that our world has in it. It's source is from the higher class that makes up less than 10% of the world's population. The only way to change that is by becoming them and being relentless in changing things. I'm tired of rich snobs treating themselves at the cost of others.
I have MET the bodyguards of Bill Gates, that's as far as they allow you to go. Bill whispers to the bodyguard usually on his right, which is the most built, and then that guy talks to you, and when Bill sees that look of disbelief on your faces he smirks. I dispise those people that took the bailout that happened about two years ago and used it for vacationing to Cancun.
When all you have is determination, desperate hope, and memories that leave you crying after talking about them, your desire to change the world you live in is magnified by about thirty-fold.

I know this started out as a business question, but I had to get that out without something involving foreign objects entering the body. I also need people to see where I'm coming from, which I hope this provided a little light upon.

Sorry for the massive tangent appearing. Back to that second question about resources and time-range, it will probably take a good four years to get an OS out that meets all of the standards and is up to date, without taking ideas from others. But to meet that deadline I will need a team of AT LEAST fifteen DEDICATED programmers, preferably ones that don't have degrees, because if they know how to program good, they not only know how to code good, they're the ones that know how to take on the best corporate-hired programmers and put them to shame. I plan to supply the resources by opening a computer store, which will then provide office and studio art programs at a lower price than any others out there. Then the OS will follow once a good reputation has been built.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:45 am

For your misunderstanding of economics...

http://mises.org/store/product.aspx?ProductID=33

For your relationship issues...

http://freedomainradio.com/Books/RealTimeRelationships.aspx

For a basic introduction to Operating System Theory (because 4 years isn't improbable, it's impossible)...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Operating-System-Concepts-Abraham-Silberschatz/dp/0470233990/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268906860&sr=8-1

And I wish you much luck with your project!

Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:12 am

4 years? Depends on what you call an operating system. In an undergraduate course I took aimed at embedded systems, the last of ten projects during the semester was a scheduler on a Motorola 6800 -- a two week assignment to make an operating system. It scheduled tasks at specific times. That's all it did. If it's not an operating system, what do you call it?

I picked modest goals for LoseThos and made an operating system with 64-bit compiler in 6 years.

At the same time I was in that course -- 1992, I was working in assembly language on Ticketmaster's VAX operating system. One boss wrote most of the operating system, the other wrote our pascal compiler.

Good programmers are 10 times as productive as bad.

LoseThos is 120,000 lines and took 6 years... 20,000 LOC a year. In our embedded class we were graded on a curve based on how short it was. LoseThos is incredibly compact, for what it does mostly because of strategic decisions.

http://www.losethos.com
http://www.losethos.com/doc/Strategy.html

Grammar is for secretaries. I used to write long emails and bosses would give single sentence fragment responses. Genius, though.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:28 am

Terry A. Davis wrote:
Depends on what you call an operating system.

BeserkerNomNom wrote:
an OS out that meets all of the standards and is up to date, without taking ideas from others.

Not a fantastic description of the goals, but quite clearly more than 124,800 man hours of work. That would require a constant rate of over 100 lines of code an hour to match Linux Kernel 2.6.32. However, that doesn't include drivers or applications and leaves no time for design, holiday or christmas (Though you do get weekends off). To match Windows Server 2003's 50 million lines (I don't know what components that includes) would take 400 lines of code an hour. That might not sound like much (only 6 lines a minute) but is far above the average and still doesn't include anything but constant 8 hour day programming, leaving no time for design or testing.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:22 am

It will be far less with no legacy baggage. You don't need 32-bit support. You don't need the Win32 API or support for old machines.

You could do like apple and pick one hardware standard. That's the only way to do it, if you don't want to do like me. It's easy doing it for one computer, impossible for all different types.

The line of code count is something to be ashamed-of you moron! You would get an F in my class.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:35 am

Ok then, in spite of your extremely rude and ignorant response, I will give you man hours.

Red Hat Linux version 7.1 (rather old now, this would just be to match 2001 levels of modern system) took 8,000 person-years to develop. That's about 133.3 times more than the estimated 15 men in 4 years. Debian Linux version 2.2 has been calculated to be the equivelant of 14,005 person-years or 233.4 times as many as budgeted. All this still not including any time for anything but constant programming.

Also, Mac OS X 10.4 is absolutely massive in size; there is no need to arbitarily claim it simpler because the hardware is easier to program for, it would take somewhere beteen 8,000 and 14,000 years for a single person to progam, somwhere between 533 and 933 for a 15 man team.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:51 am

I'll give you man hours. LoseThos 6 years maybe 2500 hours/year. 15,000 man hours.

What's your point?

God gets some credit. Bible says one warrior will make one hundred flee.

God kept me from making "child" windows like Windows and he kept me from going to higher resolutions and He controlled me along the way guiding the design.

God says...
distinguishing fabulous afterwards crudities leads profoundly
exalted intolerable dispute without pause procure repentance
dawned avert beholdest trial recess removal inwardly winning
judgest die sacrificing rather province EDITIONS diluted
flagitiousness conversion asking beck hindrance feet builded
cost desires lion strongly innumerably comely preliminary
etc Greeks helpful vouchsafed leaning observing enticed
quarrel bad prophets leave relaxedly lot having becometh
unlocked keen thrustedst friends distempered spectator
engage Divers currents shifting entangling Turned sorrow
torrent temperament fighting justification interested
ninety Gift subverted siege vouchsafest fired Manichee
foolish School races copies numbering eligible blest beautiful
gulf journeyed quiet happen Photinus inhabited

admittedly LoseThos is not a general purpose main stream operating system.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:56 am