Bona Fide OS Developer
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:53 am

Moya 

Post Moya
I am starting a new OS project. This is completely new to me. I have gathered several resources (books on ASM, Ada, OS design, and a few other topics). I figured I would start with many how tos on BFOSD website, as well as the ones on the MikeOS website. I will then begin learning ASM in more depth, and read several books on OS design. So far, my goals are very simple.

I want to create a pure 64bit UNIX-like OS using Ada and ASM exclusively. I also would like to use the Open BeOS File System (just because I want to, and because the documentation is easy to follow, no other reason really). I am thinking that I will try to implement Linux device drivers, but I am not too certain on how Ada interfaces with C/C++. I am not too worried about GUIs or anything like that. I want to focus on simply getting a command line interface working first, and then getting some hardware support going.

Are there any general pointers you could give me? Input on my ideas?

/project canceled

Last edited by Ford on Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:00 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Moya
Hi Raj,
I too am fairly new. I wrote a small DOS before, and that's about it. However, it isn't as hard as you would imagine. I am assuming you are familiar with a compiled language of some kind? C, or Ada, or something similar (maybe ALGOL?). A language of that type isn't necessary, but it does make things quite a bit easier. Beyond that, I highly recommend picking up some ASM. One good introduction to ASM and OS programming is here:http://mikeos.berlios.de/write-your-own-os.html

A tutorial I like and use as a reference on Ada is here: http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je/adacraft/

Outside of the coding aspect of things, you will want to read through the tutorials on osdever. Even if you are doing something completely experimental and non-traditional, the amount of knowledge on the site is ridiculous. Gl, hf.

Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:41 am
Profile WWW