Bona Fide OS Developer
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:37 pm

My Projects Are Halted 

Post My Projects Are Halted
I am ceasing dev on all of my software projects of late. I have been learning more and realized that everything I have written lately is utter crap. Does anyone have similar experiences on their own OSs?

Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:46 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Re: My Projects Are Halted
Yep, same here.

It is funny to realize my first attempt had some kind of gui before understanding text scrolling. It had nothing, could not do anything. But I wanted 3 panels: 1 console at bottom, left side console output and right side runtime info. I was sooo bad at this.

Now I learned a lot at different platforms, programming paradigms, languages, etc, the code is qutie emberassing...

// jarvix

Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:15 am
Profile WWW

I will never cease development of my projects voluntarily.

I don't consider what I write a bad thing, and I don't lose my patience over the quality of the code I can write. If I have learned something from OS development, is to never stop trying if I want to witness and enjoy my own evolution at coding.

It just reflects my current maximum capability at some programming task, and all I need to do is learn more, and then reimplement as many times as necessary. And most importantly, since I document a lot and do my best to find out and ask more knowledgeable people when possible if my implementation is top-quality or near it, I have been building a repository that contains only the best of the best of my work, in documentation and in code, and so I can reimplement something like a simple kernel or library in a very short time, and not exactly from scratch anymore.

It is about using more and more, and better and better techniques, and build a life repository of development material.

If I stopped the development of my projects, I would not be able to keep improving iteratively my capabilities, and I can always recode.

It is fun, and for me it is useful, because it shows me what kind of programmer I really am currently, and it allows me to see how I get to evolve.

That's something nobody else can do for me, and stopping is the same as giving up, so that's just not an option.

Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:03 am
Site Admin

I always tinker with my coding and even your 'crap' code can be a great starting point for moving on to bigger and better things.

Remember what your first piece of boot sector or kernel code looked like and then take at look at the level to which you are coding now. I'm sure you will see an improvement, so don't give up.

I have no delusions of creating the next Windows on my own, I do OS development to learn about low level computing and for the mental challenge. :)

Kieran C G Foot

Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:40 am
Profile WWW